Friday 20 March 2015

The Healing Power of Physical Therapy



I have been suffering from constant back and neck pain for the past several years. There is a persistent stiffness and the ache intensifies if I sit or stand for long hours. Popping pills has become a habit and is essential for me to get through the daily tasks of living. I kept pushing myself, hoping the aches would just ebb some day in the future. However, it never did!
In fact, the pain started intensifying over the past couple of months to such an extent that it got completely unbearable. I could hardly stand up straight or move around and doctors had started suggesting surgery as the only option.

I was horrified at the thought and yet, the repercussions were staring me in my face. I used to have nightmares of being bed-ridden and unable to attend to my bodily functions.

This was when a casual visitor started singing paeans of South Toledo Physical Therapy. I was quite hesitant as this was a long-term alternative and the results were not even guaranteed. The dread of putting my already aching back through excruciating stretches and exercises further abetted my reluctance. 

So it was after great persuasion from my family that I diffidently approached the physical therapy center in Toledo, Ohio. I have no qualms in admitting that I had zero expectations at the outset. It was just a last resort before I went under the knife, so to speak. 

The treatment begins
The physical therapist spoke to me at length about my ailment, asked several questions about the pain and underlying issues, and even attempted to test me on a range of motions. He outlined a treatment plan that sounded anything but appetizing. 

He started me on a slow regimen of ice packs, heat treatment, electrical stimulation, and massages. The skepticism of the first day turned to pure terror as the pain seemed to intensify to agonizing levels. 

I swore never to return, but the friendly therapist kept assuring me that this was the only way to bring the pain down to a more manageable level. The next day I found myself unwilling to face the anguish once again, but something made me continue visiting South Toledo Physical Therapy.  
I am glad to say that the agony was short-lived as I slowly started experiencing some much-needed relief. And once I found a certain respite from pain, the physical therapist changed the thrust of the treatment to active exercises for restoring movement in my neck and back. And the story of pain started all over again. The stretching exercises that were supposed to strengthen the muscles aggravated the pain to what almost seemed like pre-treatment levels once again. 

I was asked to go for a walk everyday and continue some of the exercises at home, too. The therapist even advised me on proper posture, sleeping positions, and maintenance exercises.
Today, I am the biggest proponent of physical therapy in Toledo, Ohio for relieving pain, restoring movement, and avoiding surgery totally as I continue to enjoy a healthy and pain-free back!

How do you think physical therapy can help? Share your views below.

No comments:

Post a Comment